The Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators (AECO) is an international association for Arctic expedition cruise operators and associated industries. AECO’s main objectives are to ensure environmentally friendly, safe, and considerate tourism in the Arctic, and to advocate for the interests of our members. Our approximately 65 international members operate more than 60 vessels in the Arctic. AECO’s secretariat has 10 employees, and our head office is in Tromsø, Norway.
AECO is now hiring a Head of Operations (HOO) to lead and contribute to efforts within the areas of Field operations, Environment and Maritime. This is a new position in a newly established department.
Description and duties
The HOO will manage the Department of Operations in accordance with AECO`s mandate, objectives, and strategies. Efficient utilization of available resources while ensuring synergies and contingencies for the department and throughout the organization is vital.
Management of the department as well as operational tasks potentially related to:
- Environmental measures, including “clean seas” and “climate change” efforts
- Field operations measures, including AECO’s databases, online assessments, guidelines, and other tools
- Safety measures, including Search and rescue and Oil spill response activities
- Regulatory affairs and collaborations, including consultations, governmental relations, and other collaborations
- Membership activities, including dialogue with members, committees, and working groups
- Initiatives related to Citizen science
- Representing and presenting on behalf of AECO
The HOO may be called upon to carry out other essential tasks as needed in according to the overall capacity of the Secretariat.
The HOO will be part of AECO`s extended management group and will report to the Executive director.
Required skills, qualifications, and experience
- Relevant high-level education
- Insights and knowledge of current Arctic topics influencing cruise tourism
- Insights and understanding of Arctic maritime operations and navigations
- Knowledge and understanding of international maritime regulations
- Insight and understanding of environmental issues
- Excellent English language skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent project and time management skills, structured and well organized
- Excellent IT skills
- Strong interpersonal and communicative skills
- Ability to motivate staff and contribute to a good work environment
Desired skills, qualifications, and experience
- Management experience
- Experience from working in or with public administration, regulatory work, and consultations
- Knowledge and experience from the polar expedition cruise industry
- Experience from field operations and field operations administration
- Experience with use of AECO`s tools, guidelines, and standards
- Fluency in a Scandinavian language
The ideal candidate is friendly and sociable, has a positive and professional mindset and enjoys working with different people and cultures. You thrive in a fast-paced work environment, and you are eager to take on professional challenges.
We offer a job with diverse and meaningful tasks where you will have a chance to contribute to sustainable Arctic cruise tourism. You will be part of a team with international, dedicated, and professional colleagues. You will have the chance to work both independently and as part of a team. Travel to Arctic and non-Arctic areas is to be expected for this position.
This is a full time, permanent position. Salary and other terms will be based on qualifications and experience. Place of work is preferably at the head office in Tromsø, Norway. Start-up is ideally as soon as possible.
If you consider yourself the right candidate, please submit your resumé and a letter of interest (PDF) to email@example.com
In the subject line of your e-mail, please include your full name and phrase “Head of Operations”.
For further details and additional information, please contact the Head of HR & Organizational development Mr. André Skrivervik, firstname.lastname@example.org or the Executive director, Mrs. Frigg Jørgensen, email@example.com
Pending the outcome of the recruitment process, other positions may be available in the Department of Operations such as Environmental specialist, Field operations specialist or Maritime specialist. Please indicate in your application if you also consider yourself a candidate for any of these possible positions.
Applications will be considered as they come in and at the latest by 5 February 2023.